Blue Sky delivers training in prison to prepare inmates for our job opportunities in the community. We are an NCFE accredited training provider on the Skills Funding Agency’s Register of Training Organisations.
Currently, we deliver taster sessions and accredited short courses (entry Level 3) in HMP Wormwood Scrubs and HMP Belmarsh. The highly-practical sessions and courses cover the essential requirements of working as operatives in grounds maintenance and waste management.
“Fantastic form of help and hope for us. Keep it going!” Training participant
“The afternoon session on the strimmer was really good for the guys and they didn’t want to stop strimming. A couple of the guys had at least two goes at it!” Malcom Reilly, Blue Sky Teams Manager and Trainer
We aim to work in other prisons and to develop new courses as we diversify into other industry sectors.
Training in prison is an important first step on Blue Sky’s employability escalator, moving ex-offenders towards an entry-level job, and ultimately, with further training, towards onward jobs with better wage and career prospects.
Blue Sky’s current work in prisons builds on our previous experience of running industries in HMP Bronzefield and HMP High Down (2012-2016), initiatives that employed and trained over 200 serving prisoners, with one in four eligible to work finding a job on release, three times the national average.
In 10 years Blue Sky has employed almost 1200 working on our grounds maintenance, waste management, catering, laundry and distribution contracts and in our prison workshops.
What do we offer partners?
We offer a model that is proven to reduce re-offending significantly, as highlighted in the thorough analysis carried out by the Ministry of Justice’s Data Lab. Please click here for more information and to read the MoJ’s full report.
- Sustainable employment opportunities for ex-offenders. To date 63% of our Work Programme referrals stay with us for 6 months
- An impressive track record of programme management
- A contractual base that is expanding geographically. Currently our teams can be found working across London, the South East and the South West
- Unlike most voluntary sector partners we place then train rather than train then place. This results in an employment outcome from day one and a wage packet by Friday
- Jobs in the community for those people being released from prison offering an integrated “through the gate” model [/list]
All this adds up to a proven impact on reducing re-offending which directly supports the requirements of large payment by results contracts whether they be in prison or in the community.
What do we offer ex-offenders?
Once employed with us ex-offenders can expect the following services that, as a package, are key to reducing re-offending:
- We will offer you a full-time employment contract for up to 6 months.
- We only win commercial work with entry-level positions with jobs where it doesn’t matter if you have no qualifications or previous work experience.
- We ‘employ then train’ rather than the other way around so from day 1 of your contract with us you are earning money and supporting yourself.
- Our jobs are all around London, the south-east and the south-west and depending on the area you might be doing grounds maintenance, recycling, catering, laundry or distribution work. Click on the map below to see where we work and what we do. [/list][/one_half]